What to do in Santorini in winter time
Hey! So I promised you a comprehensive list of the things you might see and do here in Santorini in the winter. As I wrote previously, winter is the real time for active and adventurous island exploring etc. So here it comes:
- Go volcano exploring. You can probably do it from Akrotiri (I’ve heard that “Sostis Travel” provides it, but it’s worth asking around and getting all the offers). There are some more options to choose from starting from March, when more travel operators start their season.
- While you cannot sunbathe in the beaches, you can go horse riding in the beaches of Perissa. This is a one-of-a-kind experience that you won’t regret!
- If you feel like getting to know more about the history, you can visit the Prehistoric Museum in Fira or Ancient Thera. Keep in mind that their opening hours a shorter during wintertime — they’re open from 8.30 till 15.00 and they do not work on Mondays.
- Many people think that no restaurants or cafes work. Well, it’s not quite true — although a big portion of the restaurants are closed, few still work. It is best to ask more information at your local hotel — they’re always fully informed about the dining possibilities.
- All the big supermarkets are open in the winter, but you must check their working hours before going there e.g. they do not work on Sundays; some have other specific working hours.
- In general, you must be aware that you won’t find many tourist facilities open, unless they are used by the locals as well. You might see this as a chance to get to know the true lifestyle of the locals!
- As far as accommodation goes, not all hotels will work, but here’s a useful list of all the hotels working in winters!
I guess this is the main information you have to know! Now you’re on your way to having the best time on the island of Santorini in the winter! I assure you — it is a great chance to travel cheaply and get to experience loads of new things if you’re feeling adventurous!